MEEE Program » Special Services Referral

Special Services Referral

If you are worried that your child is not keeping up with their peers, you might want to look into special services provided by our district.  In order for your child to receive any special support services, however, your child must be evaluated.   To get an evaluation, someone must request the evaluation.  A request for an evaluation is called a “referral” in education lingo.
Anyone can make a “referral for evaluation”, including you or another person involved in the education or care of your child.  However, it is up to the parent or guardian to consent to the evaluation.  It is best if you make the request, or referral.



The NH Rules for the Education of Children with Disabilities states "any person may refer a child under the age of 21 years to the IEP team for reasons including but not limited to the following: (1) Failing to pass a hearing or vision screening; (2) Unsatisfactory performance on group achievement tests or accountability measures; (3) Receiving multiple academic and behavioral warnings or suspension or expulsion from a child care or after school program; 4) Repeatedly failing one or more subjects; 5) Inability to progress or participate in developmentally appropriate preschool activities; and 6) Receiving service from family centered early support and services" (Ed. 1 105.02).



Text version icon   MEEE Program - Special Services Referral (Text Version)